Sunday, July 26, 2015

JLA casting - Jamie Chung special edition

Another post is finished which means it´s once again time for my Justice League of America Hollywood casting. This time it´s another solo post.


Now some people may cry foul to me including the Cassandra Cain Batgirl in this countdown since she was never an official member of the Justice League but as I already included the female Dr. Light just to have another asian actress on the cast as well as the original Batgirl - who also never was a member of the League I can also include the Batgirl I didn´t like. 


I didn´t hate her or anything - that was reserved for Stephanie Brown - but I just never managed to connect with her which for me is one of the main reasons to read a book. You have to connect on some level with the main character or he´s not going to be relatable to you. Which equals boring. And it doesn´t matter what it is. There is no one hundred percent match with an idol of millions but you may know how it feels to be an ugly thing shunned by humanity. You may not be the strongest one there is but you have your days where you just want to be left alone. And you may not be the daughter of the greatest magician and defender of Devil´s Echo but I bet anything you did was never good enough for your father either.

So you need this kind of connection with the main character and some readers may have been able to get that with Cassandra Cain - like my younger brother - but I never got past the bad writing and the wonky art. And I´m not even mentioning the disturbing masturbation Batgirl cover.

Of course in the movie she would stay mute. Talk about ruining Batgirl after the first few issues. If at least they had managed to give her some kind of personality. But everybody was written badly in the series even Robin Tim Drake. If you only realize that there´s a hot chick underneath that skintight latex costume when she drops that costume and instead wears Barbara Gordon´s old Batgirl costume - which is not as formfitting as Cassandra´s regular costume ...... you´re not a very good detective.


Maybe this was an american thing or something for the Batfans but you can´t tell me that you don´t notice how hot a woman is who wears a skintight latex costume - until she dons an unbecoming grey thing.

And then the ridiculous scene where she trips over her high heels. If that is supposed to show anything than it only demonstrates what a real badass Barbara Gordon really was as Batgirl. Yes, she took names and kicked ass with her long legs and she did it all in high heels, beyotch !


Anyway, I don´t want to go into the real Batgirl at length now because I already had her in this countdown. There are a few things I have to add but that will be done in the special Subzero edition but if you want to see more of Cassandra fooling around with Babara Gordon´s old costume here´s a post about it on SCANS DAILY . Thanks guys for providing this.

Longtime readers of the blog may already know about my predisposition for asian girls but this time the post has nothing to do with cosplay queen Yaya Han or other oriental sexbombs I mentioned on the blog before.


The simple reason why Jamie Chung got her solo post was that when I first made this post her entry was rather small. But then I added a few pictures because I wanted to pimp it a bit and then the usual happened.

The usual being that I found out a lot of interesting things about Jamie which make the post that much more interesting to read. But it likewise made the post longer and longer and combined with the usual tangents about things - comic related and not - in the end I had no choice but to give this it´s own post. Believe me, you absolutely don´t want to read the megalong posts these turn into before I cut them into parts. Yes, this also means that this series gets more and more installments but I can put em between my other strictly comic related posts. Well, if I had any strictly comic related posts. You know what I mean. But here I am, talking about not wanting long posts and still writing this longwinded introduction. So before you get too bored, here is our next - little - part of my Hollywood casting for a Justice League of America movie with a few additions.

Jamie Chung as Batgirl ( Cassandra Cain )


Like with casting Dr. Light it was difficult to find an asian actress for the Hollywood version. With the other edition it´s no problem : Miko Lee, Lena Li, Tera Patrick, Akira Lane, Christine Mendoza, Sasha Oagata, Minka ( !!! ), Jasmine Mai, Gail Kim, Yaya Han....the list is just endless .


Here it was not as easy but after doing some research I found somebody. It seems I am one of the few on the planet who waited a few years before finally watching DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION when it was on tv and my braincells are eternally grateful for that. But it seems the real reason why guys went to watch the movie was to catch a glimpse of Jamie Chung.


I don´t know if she got the martial arts skills to pull off the mute master assassin turned vigilante but  she was very believable as SIN CITY´s Miho.


I´m still miffed that Jessica Alba got the role of Nancy Callahan even though she refused to go topless. I mean, what the f - word was the producer smoking here ? Not that Jessica Alba is not sexy as all get out and knows how to move her blowup sex doll body like a professional. 


But she plays a stripper. Hello ? And what always pissed me off are movies with strippers who don´t take their clothes off. That´s just ridiculous.

There´s a simple rule to avoid all this : if you don´t want to take your clothes off DON´T PLAY A STRIPPER. Halle Berry played a stripper in THE LAST BOY SCOUT and she didn´t go topless but did a great striptease.


Demi Moore played a stripper in STRIPTEASE and she DID go topless.


Erika Eleniak played Playmate of the Month AND stripper Jordan Tate in the Steven Seagal movie UNDER SIEGE and her scorching hot topless striptease scene is the only reason the movies is still on television. 


And last but not least Elizabeth Berkley played a stripper who became a showgirl in SHOWGIRLS and not only went topless but got totally nude.


It´s true, some actresses play strippers and do not go topless but it is not very realistic. I know, I never have been one of the greatest advocates of realism in comic movies but I DO believe in staying true to the source material and in the SIN CITY comic Nancy is topless in every other scene.


That is how her character was written by Frank Miller and if you want to play her but you don´t want to go topless it´s simply not going to work.


Well, I hope the directors of SIN CITY, Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez at least had some fun with Jessica Alba auditioning on the casting couch.



Coming back to Jamie Chung on SIN CITY she was very believable in her role as deadly Miho but in my opinion she was underused in SIN CITY 2.


But Jamie Chung has even more comic book cred. Besides playing Chi Chi in DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION and Miho in the SIN CITY movies she also is the voice actress for Gogo Tomago in Disney´s version of BIG HERO 6.


And I´m saying Disney´s version of BIG HERO 6 because she looks quite different in the Marvel comics. As do all of the BIG HERO 6 in the movie.


I mean I can understand why Disney decided to do an animated movie with these characters but for my taste the story was too generic and would have probably worked with any group of characters. It is a good movie and quite entertaining but they totally wasted the potential here.

And on that note we return to our Justice League casting. Originally I picked Jamie Chung because she is hot but in hindsight it´s a really good choice because she has a lot more to offer than just her good looks.


And with that we wrap up another part of the JLA casting even if it was only a drop in the bucket. I mean we only managed to do ONE candidate. But as they say : one is better than none. So I hope this long post was as entertaining for you to read as it was educational for me to write this.


Todays video section starts with clips from my favorite Late Night show. At the moment I have no other place where I can find them so I have to watch it on YouTube. Here is the first one with Jamie in a gorgeous dress.



Another Craig Ferguson clip, this time she is promoting SIN CITY 2.



And if that´s not your thing here is a Jamie Chung interview in a bikini.



Since this is a Justice League movie I wanted to post the trailer for Bruce Timm´s new animated movie JUSTICE LEAGUE : GODS AND MONSTERS. When this was announced I was all exicted because I thought he was the right man to do a Justice League movie how it ought to be done. But judging from the trailer this is not really a Justice League movie at all.



So to have SOMETHING with the real Justice League in it here´s another 1967 cartoon from Lou Scheimer´s legendary FILMATION studio. This time it´s the first episode of The Atom : Invasion of the Beetle - Men.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best

No comments: